Jul 052005

The weekend was too short, as they all are, but did a lot so it didn’t feel wasted. Thanks to 5 a.m. firewall changes and some offsite work I did right after lunch, I scooted out the door at 1 p.m. on Friday afternoon. We met _kosh_ for lunch at Pronto, then did some shopping for season 3 of “Family Guy” and season 2 of “Chappelle’s Show”, and some chocolate at Gail’s. We did some cleaning and some gaming, then had dinner at Pasquale’s.

Saturday involved some gardening work, and I finally got my Christmas cactus replanted in a bigger pot, and the broken pieces that have been living in a glass of plant-food water for several years now finally got a pot of their own. That cactus has gotten huge over the last couple years, and usually blooms twice a year now instead of just around Christmas. Be interesting to see if it gets much bigger now that it has more room to grow. That night we went down to TasteFest downtown, which was WAY crowded but the food was good. The sightseeing wasn’t bad either.

Sunday we went to see a matinee of “War of the Worlds”, which I thought was very good, Tom Cruise notwithstanding. He may be a brainwashed Scientology cultist, but he’s still a good actor. That evening we had Mom over for dinner, and Aaron made some awesome fettucine with grilled chicken, spinach, artichoke hearts, and cheese. We polished off the chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert. Aaron went upstairs to surf, and I played three episodes of Family Guy for Mom, who’d never heard of it before. She loved it, which kind of surprised me since she’s never liked the Simpsons, and the humor is similar.

Yesterday we went bed shopping, since everyone was having a big sale, and after comparisons at Marshall Field’s, Sears, and Art Van, got a very good deal on a king-sized Sealy mattress and boxspring at JC Penney. Now we’ll have to buy all new bedding, and figure out what to do with the queen-sized bed we have now. The new bed will be delivered the week after we get back from Toronto, hopefully.

After we got back I took a short nap and we headed over to jamie95‘s place for grilled pork steaks, asparagus, and risotto. A friend of his from elementary school who’s been visiting for the past week ate with us, then left for a date with some cute twinky thing he met at Male Box. We also polished off two bottles of white wine and watched a few more episodes of Family Guy from season 3.

I slept really badly last night. I was too warm, even with the sheet and light blanket off, and no clothes. I also started reading “Broken Angels” by Richard Morgan, and parts of the book kept playing in my head as if I had a song stuck in there, but it was mostly just disjointed gibberish in the book’s writing style. I’ve been sleeping poorly a lot lately, hopefully the new bed will fix that.

And now I’m back at work, but luckily not much is going on, and because of 5 a.m. firewall changes I had to make, I’ll be out the door at 1:45 p.m. I found the number for the appraisal company that Terry told me about, so I’m going to give them a call and find out what’s required to do some part time work for them. I might even call the casting agencies who’ve been advertising on MICareerBuilder.com and see if there’s any work available for movie or TV extras. Could be fun.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: