I picked up the Netrunner Core Set a few weeks ago, and have played eight games as of last night. I’m really liking it, but have only gotten my roommate and one of my coworkers to play with me so far. There’s a game shop in town where they play on Monday nights, but I chickened out this week. This is my very first attempt at deckbuilding, and I decided to focus on NBN’s tagging specialty. This deck is utter crap, but I want to learn by experience what makes a good deck, rather than only using someone else’s work.
I’ve also reproduced the results and decklist here, in case NetrunnerDB.com goes away.
The results? I won against my roommate (who’s as inexperienced at this as I am), using the Core Set Anarch deck, but I shouldn’t have. Here are the problems I’ve identified with the deck already:
- Not enough money makers. Three Hedge Funds and one Adonis Campaign is not enough income. Maybe add a couple PAD Campaigns and/or Melange Mining Corp.s?
- Ice was too expensive for my income. Several times I installed ice I couldn’t afford to rez, purely as a deterrent and to get some agendas out of my hand.
- Because of the expensive ice, it might be more useful to replace at least one Private Security Force with another Priority Requisition.
- Another Psychographics might be useful if I get the income problem fixed.
Problems with my tactics:
- The cards started out sorted and grouped. I didn’t shuffle them enough, and only got one piece of ice for quite a few turns.
- I didn’t use my initial ice to protect HQ and R&D.
- Instead, I used my first ice (Wall of Static) to protect a remote server with Ghost Branch, which I should have left undefended after putting a couple of advancement tokens on it as a lure.
Mistakes by my opponent:
- He wasn’t aggressive enough. HQ and R&D went undefended for awhile, and he should have been hitting them every turn.
- He spent a lot of time and money building up his rig before attacking. He finally started hitting HQ, and got an agenda on the first run, but only assets and operations after that, until I got a Tollbooth installed and rezzed. By then I also had ice on R&D (which I couldn’t rez for lack of money).
- He made no effort to remove tags, which allowed me to trash his Armitage Codebusting. By his admission, that move cost him the game, but he’s even less experienced at this than I am.
NBN Experiment v0.1 NBN: Making News (Core Set)
- 15 influence spent (max 15)
- 21 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
- 46 cards (min 45)
- Cards up to Future Proof
- 2x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
- 2x Breaking News (Core Set)
- 1x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
- 3x Private Security Force (Core Set)
- 3x Project Beale (Future Proof)
- 1x Adonis Campaign (Core Set) ••
- 2x Dedicated Response Team (Future Proof) ••••• •
- 2x Ghost Branch (Core Set)
- 1x Closed Accounts (Core Set)
- 3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
- 3x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof)
- 2x Psychographics (Core Set)
- 1x Scorched Earth (Core Set) ••••
Code Gate (4)
- 1x Archer (Core Set) ••
- 3x Data Raven (Core Set)
- 3x Flare (Future Proof)
- 1x Hunter (Core Set)
- 3x Matrix Analyzer (Core Set)
Deck built on NetrunnerDB.