(blows away the dust and cobwebs)
Hmm, I think I remember how to work this LJ thing…
Testing, testing…is this thing on?
In the interest of not writing a novel-length LJ entry describing everything that’s happened since my last post, I’ll just hit the highlights as I remember them, in no particular order.
– Got some phat lewt for Festivus: The remote car starter from roadster_guy I mentioned previously; from brokenbryan a very cool shirt from H&M and My Little Cthulhu toy (picture to follow); two Jim Butcher novels and some Magic cards from the Hotters mrimp and odysseyseven; Dragon-Blooded for Exalted from reddywhp; The Orange Box from jockbdboy (I miss my Weighted Companion Cube!); a bunch of Really Useful Boxes and new tree ornaments from my mom; weightlifting gloves and (I suspect, though they’re lost in transit) Under Armour Boxerjocks from my sister.
– Had a great pre-Christmas with brokenbryan, before he was off to his parents for the actual holiday, then an unexpected overnight return when he was turned away from the Canadian border for commenting on how indifferent he was to hockey or something.
– The actual Christmas Eve with Mom, the Hotters, and thafuzz was a great time and, after all the buildup, preparation, and cleaning, I was sorry it was over so soon. This was the first year in many that I really got into the whole holiday thing.
– Alex is visiting for a week, arriving on the 28th and staying until tomorrow. While he’s been here we wiped my mom’s computer and replaced her copy of Windows XP with Ubuntu Linux. The Microsoft Police had managed to install their Windows Genuine “Advantage” anti-piracy tattleware on her PC and were giving her constant, politely insistent reminders that they suspected her of shenanigans. After a crash course in Ubuntu, she’s thrilled with it. It’s perfect for her needs, which primarily consist of email, surfing, and browser games, and I enjoyed giving Microsoft the finger. Metaphorically, of course.
– After the main event, I became a near-total slug for the rest of my temporary layoff: never went to the gym, spent a few entire days in sweats or shorts, played a lot of WoW (after finishing Portal of course). Despite all that, I managed to lose about 3 lbs until around New Year’s, when Aaron went on a cookie baking binge after Alex arrived.
– As a side effect of the previous bullet point, I didn’t shave from Christmas until last night, when I turned eleven days of scruff into a short beard. The plan is to keep both hair and beard at the length of a #1 guard on the clipper and see how it looks, but who knows how long it’ll last. I think it’s kinda sexy, but it does make me look older, especially with the grey in the corners of it. I give it two weeks before I lose patience and dispose of it. I’ll post a pic of it later and solicit opinions. :oP
It’s really weird, but it’s completely disrupted my mental self-image for some reason. Just creating the beard set off all these meandering thought-trains about aging, youth, appearances, the perception of manhood, ad nauseum. All that over some facial hair. *rolls eyes*
– New Year’s was a low-key event since I was on-call and couldn’t go anywhere. We really wanted to go to Chicago for jockbdboy‘s party and wherever everyone ended up afterward, but it was not to be. I tried to get Aaron to take Alex and go without me, but he refused to leave here by myself. I loves my man. In a pleasant surprise, a2andy and his boyfriend Rich braved the impending blizzard and joined us from about 11pm to 1am to help guzzle champagne and Aaron’s homemade chocolate chip cookies. We watched the new ball drop in Times Square and cringed in pity every time Dick Clark was on camera and speaking. The stroke was not kind to him. But hey, ya gotta give him credit for toughing it out.
– I haven’t been to the gym since 12/17/07. This is bad. This is bad bad. What with all the Christmas preparation, shopping, cleaning, then the gym being closed for a week for re-carpeting, I’ve been drained and lethargic, and lost all motivation. Today will be my triumphant(?) return, but I would have to start things off with a leg day, wouldn’t I? Ouch.
I’m sure other things will come to mind later, but it’s time to get the hell out of work and go home.